Come build something amazing
ObjectRocket is a young company with big goals. We want to build the next generation of Database as a Service, and we need your help. We need folks who want to build something that hasn't been done yet, is hard, yet fantastically rewarding.
We are located in the heart of beautiful downtown Austin, TX. Austin is highly regarded as a wonderful place to live, work, and play. It's the Live Music Capital of the World and has a serious night life.
ObjectRocket is a Rackspace company, this means we have all the resources we need to meet our goals. Become a Racker, join the family and help us build something special.
ObjectRocket has a fast paced, and exciting culture. We are a small team, and move quick. We are building something quite amazing and look to be leaders in our field and community. We are growing like crazy, we need more help!
Cloud Engineer / Full Stack Developer
ObjectRocket by Rackspace is seeking Cloud Engineers / Full Stack Developers to help build the next generation of Database-as-a-Service. Our web application for managing, monitoring, and backing up data on the ObjectRocket platform currently operates thousands of nodes with petabytes of data daily. We’re looking for thinkers at this level to be part of a talented, mission driven team, that is building powerful tools which greatly increase customer success.
Our mission is to disrupt the market with a completely new product class. One where developers can finally forget about the back end data source and focus on building compelling products. By focusing on open source solutions, unparalleled specialist expertise, and the industry’s best cloud database platform we enable customers to experience levels of data management ease and understanding never before seen.
Ultimately, we improve by an order of magnitude the way developers store, retrieve, and manage data.
Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Architect, build, and maintain scalable systems, services, and products
- Maintain and grow current products with a vision toward how the product and architecture should evolve to adapt to new customer needs
- Participate in regular code reviews of peers, be open to pairing when necessary
- Stay up-to-date with modern product development including libraries, tools, browser support and frameworks
- Collaborate with the team on new conventions, libraries and tools to adopt
- Be part of the community. Attend conferences and meetups
- A strong sense of product ownership and thrives in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Strong python skills - or the ability to quickly ramp up
- Experience building elastic, scalable APIs / microservices
- Experience building solutions with AWS, GCE, Heroku, Azure, Rackspace Cloud, etc.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- You write tests for your code
- Familiar with using github, jenkins and ci/cd tools - we use github extensively
- You’re a polyglot and love using the right tool for the job, and can explain why
Nice to haves
- ETL, data warehouse
- Messaging systems - ApacheMQ, RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka
- Experience working with websockets and asynchronous data flow
- Experience working with MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch or other NoSQL databases
- Go, Java, Ruby, js
- An entrepreneurial spirit / business sense
Love a challenge? Anyone can manage a single application - we manage and maintain a platform providing for thousands of production databases supporting billions of operations. You’ll be part of a highly capable and motivated team working on solving the hard problems of scalability, availability, and performance on a global platform.
Customer Data Engineer
Overview & Responsibilities
We own the entire stack (hardware and software) so that means you’ll need to find and resolve issues at all levels. To do this successfully you’ll be switching hats often, from Systems Administrator resolving a configuration problem on a machine to DBA digging into production datastores to identify issues, to Software Developer troubleshooting customer code. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a broad range of technologies, in particular Hadoop, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, and Redis. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for owning the full customer experience; this includes communication with customers via our ticketing system and phones, working complex problems and owning issues through to resolution.
You’re a seasoned Systems Administrator and technical jack of all trades with top-notch people skills looking to join a fast-paced team building huge things. You prefer an agile work environment and possess the self-motivation to thrive in it. Your written communication skills are the stuff of legends.
You have an uncanny ability to solve issues with technologies you’ve never seen before after a few minutes of research. You are, above all, a problem solver.
- Tenured Linux knowledge with CentOS, RHEL and/or Ubuntu
- Functional virtualization knowledge with KVM, Xen and/or OpenVZ
- Prior training or experience installing, configuring and optimizing Hadoop, MongoDB and/or Redis
- In-depth knowledge of bash/shell scripting and working knowledge in at least one other language.
- Python or Java preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Passion for collaboration
Nice to haves
- Working knowledge of storage tech such as SSDs, RAID and lvm2
- Nagios/Icinga and New Relic experience.
- Experience administering web and application servers running Apache, Nginx and Gunicorn
- Active in the technical and open source community (e.g. participating in blogging, tweeting and social coding are all very desirable)
- Working knowledge of Rackspace systems, tools and processes
- Experience with Rackspace’s APIs/SDKs
- Database administration experience with other NoSQL solutions (e.g. HBase and Elasticsearch).
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL, Cassandra and/or other RDBMS technologies.
- Experience with Rackspace Cloud Big Data, ObjectRocket and DBaaS
- Experience with the Hortonworks sandbox environment
ObjectRocket is seeking a Mid-to-Senior level DBA to join our Engineering team to work on our scalable, highly-available MongoDBaaS platform.
Love a challenge? Anyone can manage a single application - we manage and maintain thousands of production databases supporting billions of operations.
You’ll be part of a highly capable and motivated team working on solving the hard problems of scalability, availability, and performance on a global platform.
In this role you will:
- Manage and maintain thousands of production customer databases
- Automate and innovate new ways to manage large database clusters
- Push the limits of MongoDB, then blog about it
- Work with cutting edge technology in the cloud computing space
- Provide Fanatical Support to Rackers and our customers through innovative solutions
- Create sustainable and maintainable environments
- Install, configure, update and troubleshoot a HUGE MongoDB environment
- Collaborate with Engineers and System Administrators on technical issues
- Be part of the community. Attend conferences and meetups
Position Requirements & Experience:
- 1+ year experience with MongoDB in a production environment
- 2+ years managing highly available production systems
- Proficiency with Python, Perl, shell or other languages
- Extensive knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Fast learner, creative thinker, problem solver
- Team player, highly motivated and self-manageable
- Responsible, dedicated and responsive in non-working hours as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable with collaborative tools such as IRC, wikis and basic ticket tracking systems
- Action and detail oriented. Highly motivated to drive projects to completion
Nice to have:
- Shell, Ruby, C development experience
- Knowledge of MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle or other RDBMS
- Load balancers, DNS, networking
- BS/MS in Computer Science
ObjectRocket Sr. Systems Engineer
ObjectRocket is seeking a Mid-to-Senior level Systems Engineer to join our Engineering team to work on our scalable, highly-available MongoDBaaS platform.
Enjoy a challenge? You’re in the right place. We’re a small, focused team working to build the next generation of database as a service. We’re helping developers support billions of transactions a day, and need your help to make it even better.
An ideal candidate would have advanced knowledge of:
- Linux - CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu
- Virtualization and containers - KVM, Xen, OpenVZ, lxc
- Load balancers, firewalls, VPNs
- Web/Application servers - Apache, Nginx, Gunicorn
- Monitoring - Icinga, Nagios, Graphite
- TCP/IP - troubleshooting, performance tuning
- Storage - SSDs, SANs, iSCSI, RAID, lvm2
You might also be comfortable with:
- Python, Perl, Ruby, C, etc - whatever you use to get work done!
- Databases - MongoDB is desirable, but operational knowledge of MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or other NoSQL solutions are great too
- Hardware - not afraid to use a screwdriver every now and then to build and test the specialized solutions you need
- Networking - Cisco, BGP, OSPF
What else makes me perfect for this role?
- A desire to be part of the technical community - blogging, tweeting, sharing
- Providing Fanatical Support to customers, and you don’t mind jumping in to provide solutions to complex problems
- You’re always looking for a better way to do things - automation, monitoring, new hardware platforms, better software
- You’re comfortable working in a tight group, but are still self-motivated when you need to be